Hopewell Redevelopment & Housing Authority
Virginia Section 8 & HCVP Provider
Our mission is to promote adequate and affordable housing, economic opportunity and a suitable living environment free from discrimination.
Since 1939, HRHA has provided shelter for qualified low-income families in the City of Hopewell. The authority receives annual funding from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer affordable housing to residents in its public housing and housing choice voucher programs. The agency currently has 360 public housing units in three communities and administers 503 section eight vouchers. It is governed by a seven member Board of Commissioners appointed by the Hopewell City Council.
HRHA was the first agency within the state of Virginia to be awarded Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) funding through HUD. The community formerly known as Langston Park has been redeveloped into a mixed income community now known as The Summit. The agency has recently closed on its second RAD project, Kippax Place. The authority is committed to pursuing residential and commercial redevelopment opportunities using available funding vehicles. It strives to be a community partner to the City of Hopewell, agencies and many nonprofits in the area to provide opportunities to better the lives of all persons meeting HUD’s low-income guidelines.
HRHA will offer its services to municipalities in addition to City of Hopewell. Services offered will be expected to include the following:
Organizational Development, especially for small to medium sized PHAs
Executive Team leadership and developmentExecutive Management processes and tools
Executive philosophy of management
Vision development and implementation
Program Management for the Affordable Housing sector
Housing Choice Programs
Customer Service Creed
HRHA aims to provide exceptional customer service both internally and externally. Our customer base includes employees, residents, applicants, stakeholders, and partners. Through responsible leadership, teamwork and collaboration we are a catalyst for positive change in the community.
We provide housing service for the continuum of housing needs.
HRHA playgrounds are open. The following additional rules are in place.
- Groups of more than 10 are prohibited from gathering.
- Social distancing should be practiced at all times by staying at least 6 ft from all other persons (other than those residing in the same households).
- Stay home if you feel sick or develop symptoms such as a fever or cough.
- Continue to practice safe hygiene as often as possible.
Visitors should note that playground equipment is not disinfected as part of HRHA’s daily maintenance routine
Hopewell Redevelopment and Housing Authority will begin accepting online applications for One, Two, Three and Four Bedroom Public Housing Units. The waiting list will be open on
January 4, 2021 at 10:00 am
Applications must be submitted online at:
As stated in the HRHA Administrative Plan:
Preferences establish the order of applicants on the waiting list. An admission preference does not guarantee admission. Every applicant must still meet HRHA’s Selection Criteria before being offered a voucher. All Preferences will be treated equally regardless of preference. HRHA has the following HCV preferences:
- Residency Preference – Families that live and /or work in Hopewell.
- Working Families – Head of household or spouse or sole member is aged 62 or older or is a person with disabilities (Notice PIH 2011-33) or where the head of the household is the primary caregiver for a disabled household member. Minimum works hours 15 per week for non-elderly and non-disabled.
- Veterans – Persons who were honorably discharged or under other than dishonorable conditions.
- Olmstead Preference – Applicant families with disabilities who reside in institutions who are ready to leave the institution for community based living.
Applicants who apply online or have already applied online for an HRHA waiting list may check the status of their application by going to www.waitlistcheck.com and logging in or by calling 1-833-387-6684. If you had applied by a paper application in the past, you may call the same number above to check the status of your application.
If you have any questions regarding this notice and/or you think you may need or want reasonable accommodation with the application process please contact our office by phone at
or in person at
350 East Poythress Street
Hopewell, VA 23860.
Hopewell Housing & Redevelopment
350 E Poythress St
Hopewell, VA 23860
Hopewell Redevelopment and Housing Authority is an Equal Housing Opportunity provider